Sunday 11 May 2008

Travel to Dusseldorf, Germany (April 19-20)

As usual my travel start with the night bus to Oslo. I booked my travel via www.wideroe.no. Direct flight Oslo-Dusseldorf (Saturday 0955-1155 Sunday 1905-2055). As my bus arrived in Oslo a bit before 0530 and then I could just take the airport bus at 0530 and be at the airport 0615. So no STRESS at all. I had slept reasonable well on the bus. So things were OK in the airport. Breakfast and security line. Relaxing, but not too much, wouldn't want to miss my flight.

It was not my first time in Dusseldorf but last time was in 2002 so how much would I remember? I chose a hotel near Deutche Oper am Rhein, Opernhaus Dusseldorf. HOTEL AN DER OPER. It was an OK hotel for just night, no mini bar, but my room had a bath tub. If you wanted to use the TV you would have to ask for the remote, and I think maybe it was some euro out too. But the hotel being just across the opera house and only 5 minutes walks away, so that made up for something. The traffic could be quite heavy at times at that road, 2 lines both ways. But there was an underground and it had traffic lights. U-Bahnhof Heinrich Heine.

In the opera shop a building away from the opera house there you can buy tickets or collect them as I did. Not much too choose from in the shop (CDs etc) but the place for theatre tickets that is sure. Nice people, too.

After the Gala I had a wonderful night at my hotel. Breakfast in this hotel was OK, nothing special. I asked, and was then allowed to stay longer in my hotel room than the usual time. That was very nice. Still I had a lot of free time on my hand, my flight being in the evening (19). I asked and got some advise but I did not go to see any castle. It was a wonderful day, warm and nice spring day so I went down Königstrasse enjoying the day. Lucky to not have a lot of luggage. And then I walked to whole way to the Rail Station. And then I took the Train to the airport. So what to do when it is still some hours to wait, I listened to my IPOD.

Then I came to Oslo from Dusseldorf, Aiport train to bus station, and Night bus home.
5 in the morning is not my best time but then I wanted to do my photos right away instead of going to bed and try sleep a bit until I have to go to work.

For more reviews from my travels, see www.operaduetstravel.com

No comments: