Tuesday, 8 May 2007
May 2007: Masterclass Concert in Devon (2007-05-07)
Day 3: Monday 2007-05-07 Exeter, Devon
Concert with JC's master class students, New Devon Opera
Third came May 7th, concert with the 15 master class students in Devon. Glorious singing and some signs that some still need more to really be great in concert and opera. The German tenor singing operetta was surely needing more years of learning the craft if he is going to the opera, but surely he was communicating and maybe it will be in operetta musicals his work will be. There was a great difference between singers that were truly in the skin of their characters, and then there were those still not finding out how to act, what to do with my arms...
And then there was Benjamin Bevan, not only the most beautiful baritone voice, but surely a great singer/actor as Roderigo di Posa. WOW, what a fantastic death scene, this was really the whole scene Roderigo/Don Carlo from Son io, mio Carlo to Per me giunto il di supremo/O Carlo, ascolta, and we even got Jose Cura as Don Carlo. WOW, it was the perfect end of this concert.
The programme was beautifully put. With the Dutch baritone doing the prolog from Pagliacci beginning the concert, and as endof act 1 with Danish soprano singing the whole Violetta scene at the end of La Traviata act 1. And the programme ended, most operatically, with someone's death. GREAT.
01. Igor Bogaert: Prolog, from PAGLIACCI (Leoncavallo)
02. Amar Muchala: Una furtiva lagrima, from L'ELISIR D'AMORE (Donizetti)
03. Lorna Collins: Voi lo sapete, from CAVALLERIA RUSTICANA (Mascagni)
04. Sarah Estill: La mamma morta, from ANDREA CHENIER (Giordano)
05. Paul Featherstone: Ch'ella mi creda, from LA FANCIULLA DEL WEST (Puccini)
06. Rebecca Ivey: Quando m'en vo', from LA BOHEME (Puccini)
07. Carthaig Quill: Dei miei bollenti spiriti, from LA TRAVIATA (Verdi)
08. Anja Rossau: A fors' e lui, from LA TRAVIATA (Verdi) + Jose Cura
09. Diana Vivian: Vissi d'arte, from TOSCA (Puccini)
10. Suzanne Manuell: Un bel di vedremo, from MADAMA BUTTERFLY (Puccini)
11. Tyrone Piper: E la solita storia del pastore, from L'ARLESIANA (Cilea)
12. Laura Hudson: Sola, perduta, abbandonata, from MANON LESCAUT (Puccini)
13. Christian Schleicher: Dein ist mein ganzes Herz, from LAND OF SMILES (Lehar)
14. Debra Morley: The Owl and the Pussycat (Seiber)
15. Benjamin Bevan (and Jose Cura): Son io, mio Carlo, from DON CARLO (Verdi)