Tuesday 15 June 2010

An Cockeyed Optimist (SOUTH PACIFIC)


When the skies are brighter canary yellow
I forget ev'ry cloud I've ever seen,
So they called me a cockeyed optimist
Immature and incurably green.

I have heard people rant and rave and bellow
That we're done and we might as well be dead,
But I'm only a cockeyed optimist
And I can't get it into my head.

I hear the human race
Is fallin' on its face
And hasn't very far to go,

But ev'ry whippoorwill
Is sellin' me a bill,
And tellin' me it just ain't so.

I could say life is just a bowl of Jello
And appear more intelligent and smart,
But I'm stuck like a dope
With a thing called hope,
And I can't get it out of my heart!
Not this heart...

.... and with every species that dies, and with every pollution we spew, we are closer and closer to our own death. Death by polluted food and/or water, or death by having no food at all.

But I am only a Cockeyed Optimist ... so I will still travel to see Opera no matter what.
Still I do care, really I do.

For more reviews from my travels, see www.operaduetstravel.com

No comments: