Monday 26 November 2007

Hotels in Vienna and Budapest

I almost always book my hotels via hrs.de. It is multi-lingual and you can get hotel room to special HRS price and you get many details about the hotels.

But sometimes you choose wrong hotel. I never found Hotel Schönbrunnerstrasse, Vienna. Probably went in the wrong direction, I was armed only with a Google map. But I remembered last time in Vienna when I stayed in hotel 900 meters from the opera, I saw a hotel closer to Karlplatz and Staatsoper, Papageno. So I went to Westbahnhof and the internet cafe and book a room in Hotel Papageno. Better for me, no need to take U-bahn to Staatsoper, I could just walk, and closer than my earlier hotel. Not mention easier when I was going to Budapest by train, just a few stations with U-Bahn to Westbahnhof.

My hotel in Budapest was K+K Opera, a great hotel only few meters from the opera house and I mean few (20 meters max). And it just wonderful, great hotel, nice people, wonderful rooms and bath-tub. Wellness centre and free internet in the rooms. I never tried the wellness centre and I did not have my laptop with me so I never tried it in the internet in my room. But I did get to use one of the 3 pc's in the lobby. Breakfast was good and varied. Another lovely room. So next time in Budapest I will try to get a room in this hotel, K+K Opera.

My taxi from the Budapest train station, Budapest Keleti, to my hotel costed 4000 HUF. Did I pay too much. I also took a taxi from the hotel to the airport, that costed 6000 HUF. My hotel arranged that and I needed to pay by credit card, I had only 5000 HUF left, so they asked that the taxi had possibility for customers to pay by credit card.

My plane from Budapest was 0905, so I asked the hotel reception about the best and cheapest way to get to the airport and when to leave. So I was advised to take taxi (ca. 20 minutes ride), 6000 HUF and leave 7 am. Minibus was another possibility but 1 hour and 4500 HUF so I would have to leave earlier and maybe miss breakfast (0630).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.