Friday 7 March 2008

2 Travel to Vienna/Florence: I love Maria Guleghina


PART 2

After a boring day in Oslo Airport, finally the hour has come: OS336 Oslo-Vienna 1340-1610. Wonderful. Loved the food. Relaxing.

And in Vienna... Found my hotel, easy enough: Hotel Beim Theresianum.
OK, the realities of travel to Vienna by air. Arriving at Airport Schwechat, and it is not difficult finding the way out, it is easy, just follow the signs... and there you go. Best way to come to the city is CAT. City Airport train. GREEN signs. Not to hard there are ticketing machines several places, you can pay cach or by credit card. Euros are great to have but if you only have big money or not enough coins or 10 or 20 euros bills... So there you are just relaxing for 16 minutes or such and you are ... at Wien Mitte. From this location you take the U-Bahn, unless your hotel is nearby.

OK. So you need to take the right U-Bahn in the right direction. You need to know where your hotel is. So Maps. Google Maps helped me. Of course it helps if when you choose your hotel and see the details you get to know that U-Bahn station named so and so is ... meters from your hotel. Then you can get more out of Google maps. I am sure I could have made things easier for my self by doing more research before leaving. But anyway, for me the right thing was take the U4 to Karlplatz/Oper and then U1 to Taubstummengasse).

What I should have done, Checked out the hotel homepage: http://www.austria-trend.at/en/?id=THW
And on the net, had I searched for it I would have found the U-Bahn map for Vienna:
http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/vie/wien.htm

For more reviews from my travels, see www.operaduetstravel.com

And I thought I was so smart. Well, I might remember it for my next visit in Vienna. Anyway, so I found my hotel. And how to get to the Opera House, and in the evening I saw a wonderful Nabucco. With Maria Guleghina, my favorite soprano, and fav person after talking to her, she was sooooo Gracious. I felt double lucky.

End of PART 2

No comments: