Sunday 9 January 2011

Reading: For a Queen's Love by Jean Plaidy

I have read For a Queen's Love: The Stories of the Royal Wives of Philip II (A Novel of the Tudors) on my Ipad. I used Kindle for IPad, it was a great reading experience. But unfortunately for me this is a novel. It is a historical novel, an enjoyable read but one can not trust it to be true. Or rather it is not completely true. Had I not been reading true history about Philip II of Spain and of Elizabeth I of England I would have believe everything.

I bought the book from Amazon Kindle Shop where I could not see the year this book was written and in my haste I did not note that it was fiction.

From wikipedia: Eleanor Hibbert (1 September 1906 – 18 January 1993) was a British author who wrote under various pen names. Her best-known pseudonyms were Jean Plaidy, Victoria Holt, and Philippa Carr; she also wrote under the names Eleanor Burford, Elbur Ford, Kathleen Kellow, Anne Percival, and Ellalice Tate. By the time of her death, she had sold over 100 million books.... For a Queen's Love (March 2, 2010, ISBN 0307346226) previously published as The Spanish Bridegroom (1954).

An enjoyable read but not to trust completely on Elizabeth I, Don Carlos, Elisabeth of Valois, Catherine de Medici. 

For more reviews from my travels, see www.operaduetstravel.com

No comments: