Saturday 13 June 2009

Rolando Villazon - impressions from CDs

I have just bought 4 albums on iTunes with Rolando Villazon. Cielo e mar (with digital booklet), Opera Recital, French Opera Arias, Italian Opera Arias. I like his singing. From before I have his Gitano : zarzuela arias, great stuff. Rolando sure sound a lot like Plácido Domingo, but I prefer RV. Strange!

The 3 tenors: José Carreras, Plácido Domingo, Luciano Pavarotti. And that is how my preference sound. If we count from the famous spectrum it is the opposite: Pavarotti, Domingo and the 3rd tenor Carreras. 3 new tenors: José Cura, Marcelo Alvarez and Salvatore Licitra. Licitra as the new Pavarotti, Alvarez as Domingo, Cura as Carreras. After listening to the CDs I want to put Rolando Villazon there. Feels like Licitra is out, for me, anyway. But of course, everybody knows that RV is out of the circus for some months, Licitra is still in the circus.

I hope I will see Rolando Villazon live, maybe on May 15, 2010 as Don José in Vienna State Opera if I can get a ticket and RV doesn't cancel. But with Elina Garanca as Carmen, Netrebko as Micaela, and RV as Don José, is it realistic that I can get a ticket. No standing ticket for, I can't stand that.



For more reviews from my travels, see www.operaduetstravel.com

No comments: